I was looking at a very quick neivedyam during one of the days in Navarathri. I was flipping through my cooking diary frantically and I landed here. Atti Kindi Kozhukattai. Or simply Easy Kaara Kozhukattai. It is from Solai's Kitchen (http://solaiachiskitchen.blogspot.com/2007/08/kozhukattai.html) I followed her recipe to the last line. Just that Iused four instead of six red chillies and used the modak mould to make the kozhukattais. They looked good and tasted yummy too.
Boiled rice (puzhungal arisi: One and a half cups
For the tempering:
Oil: 2- 3 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Channa dhall: 1 tsp
Urad dhall: 1 tsp
Red chillies: 4 (broken into small bits)
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Grated coconut: 3 tbsp
Hing: One big pinch
Salt to taste
Method of preparation:
- Soak the rice for a couple of hours
- Drain water and grind it with the required water and salt for two minutes in the mixie. The batter should have the consistency of dosa batter.
- Add a cup of water to the this. Do not be apprehensive of adding water because once this is put on the stove, it will quickly dry up
- Take a heavy bottomed kadai
- Temper with all the above mentioned items except coconut.
- After the tempering, add the rice paste. Stir constantly. Initially little lumps would form. On constant stirring, the whole batter would become one large lumpy substance
- This is the time to introduce grated coconut to it
- Keep stirring once again
- Make desired shapes and steam for about 5 - 7 minutes
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice